Photography and Thoughts by Ulanawa Foote

Friday, June 22, 2012

CAMPER SCAMPER

One of the things I always enjoyed about camping was being visited by the chipmunks. It was always a great joy seeing them scurry and scamper about the campsites.
 
Way too often I  got distracted from gathering firewood by following these delightful fur balls of energy wherever  they went. They had so much life, so full of energy as they scampered to and fro and up and down,  in and out and all about ... yet always seeming to return to the camp, where they knew they would be rewarded some tasty morsels left by a young girl who couldn’t resist being near them. 
I have spent a lot of time trying to keep up with these busy creatures.  They taught me the joy of discovery, as they left nothing unnoticed. Here and there and everywhere, these curious cuties  taught  me to appreciate with great detail the smaller things that were all about me. Their curious nature and abundant energy made learning a joyous game. Skipping and climbing, and running and jumping ... over rocks , through the trees, in the grass,  atop of picnic tables, below the bushes … it called to the inquisitive mind to follow and see things from a fresh perspective. It taught me that even the smallest discovery could be enjoyed in the greatest of detail.
Chipmunk invites us to take the time to playfully explore. It encourages us to amuse ourselves in the discovery, and so often rediscovery of simple things.
 
Even now when one busily crosses my path, my heart delights in the joyous invitation it brings to do the camper scamper, and follow it as it goes and see what wonder, together, we can find.
And who can really resist a good scamp through the camp? ;)
 
 

























3 comments:

Laurie Rimon said...

What a great column with a wonderful perspective, and of course pictures! I have always loved chipmunks (and squirrels) - unfortunately we don't have any in Israel. I await my yearly trip home to see them.

Ulanawa said...

They are a delight. Yes, there is nowhere they will not explore, including pockets and hair!! LOL!!! :) ♥

Jonathan Schechter said...

Just re-looked at this. That last picture could be a poster in a doctor's office for children simply saying one word: RELAX.