Photography and Thoughts by Ulanawa Foote

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

ABLE LIKE THE ANT


I enjoy watching colonies of ants.
I take great joy in observing their willingness
to work together for the good of all. 

They busy themselves with whatever task is at hand,
be it searching for a food source,


or carrying food,


digging tunnels


and caring for the young;



even defending their home and food sources if need be.


Though I am sure there is an order to some degree amongst them, in general, they do not seem to be selective in the tasks they choose, but rather busy themselves with whatever task is at hand, whatever the need may be.
They are amazing little teachers with powerful medicine and strength. We, as people, can learn a lot from the ants. They are beautiful examples of cooperation and working together. They teach us about the importance of community, and caring for one another. They encourage us to pursue diligence and patience.

Ants are wonderful little architects who by example, invite us to learn the sacred art of building, be it building strong and loyal relationships or beginning the construction necessary to make our dreams a reality. I think and wonder to myself, what a difference this world would be, if more of us followed the ant's example.

















6 comments:

Mike Papiez said...

Great shots, but I love the last photo, the detail and the shadow cast by the ant! Awesome! Some day we'll have to chat about the equipment you used.

Ulanawa said...

Was taken with my Canon POwershot SX30 IS on macro setting. Took them this evening about 7:00, so the sun was casting shadows. :) Thank you for the nice words. :)

Anonymous said...

Awesome pictures and words.

pitbull1309 said...

Fantastic photos and blog! My friend, Jonathan, knows I'm a huge bug guy and he directed me to your blog. Ants are my favorite of all insects, most people have no idea of what amazing, social creatures they are. Your photos remind me of Mark W. Moffett's in the book Adventures among Ants. Nice work!

Ulanawa said...

Thank you so much!! :)

Jonathan Schechter said...

Your ants are a work of magic! Love words and the photos