Photography and Thoughts by Ulanawa Foote

Thursday, September 1, 2011

WILES OF WISDOM

Squirrels are such a joy for me to watch. They are so animated and playful. In their own comical way,  both positive and negative, they are able to teach much by their example.
 
Squirrels have to be one of the chattiest creatures around. They chatter on and on and on. And to my amusement, I have learned from their persistent chatter the need (and appreciation) for silence. Too many words can cause us many problems … one being that it makes it hard for us to be accountable for what we have spoken, if we have said more than we can recall. Fewer words can keep us from using careless words by making promises we cannot keep. It teaches us the need to listen. For there is much unspoken language to be gathered from the heart that hears. :)  Squirrel’s chatter teaches the joy of fellowship, yet cautions the need to think before we speak to avoid the use of unnecessary words, which bend the ear and leave one mentally scurrying about trying to follow another’s squirrely trail of thought. So from the squirrel’s chatter I have gathered the gift of social grace.
 
 Squirrels are busy. Up until they go into hibernation for the winter, they work so hard at gathering and storing their food. But they can also be very forgetful at times and cannot remember where they hid their precious treasure.
 I learn from the squirrel the importance of good work, followed by a time of well earned rest. Squirrel also humorously reminds me just how important it is to stay focused and on task. ;) So from squirrel’s industrious nature, I have gathered the gift of balancing time and attention.
 
Though squirrels are cautious and careful, they are also very social and can be very trusting. I can speak to a squirrel and have it happily approach me. I can leave a squirrel a gift and have it warily accept it, soon to be a regular visitor, awaiting their gift at the same place and same time everyday. And from this, squirrel again shows me balance. It teaches me the need to always be watchful, and yet to possess an openness that would allow me to trust and build upon healthy relationships with others. From the squirrel’s trust I have gathered the gift and meaning of friendship and the discipline required to maintain it.
So many things can be learned from these loveable critters. May we continue to joyously gather and share in the bounty of squirrel’s entertaining, yet insightful wiles of thought provoking wisdom.






5 comments:

Sakoieta said...

Your photography is astounding. There are those who take pictures and are picture takers and then there are those who are true photographers. You my dear friend are one of the few photgraphers whose work is on such a professional level that it is beyond words in describing your style. :)

Ulanawa said...

Thank you so much!! :) I appreciate the kind words of encouragement. ♥

Jonathan Schechter said...

I must ditto the words of Sakoieta and add that you take the fox squirrel and with words and picture bring out it's intelligence and spirted nature. Fox squirrels know more about us than we think! :+)

Ulanawa said...

They are clever critters!! They literally do make me laugh out loud as I can almost hear the tiny gears going around in their minds as they watch carefully, all the while staying busily occupied. And coming across a nest of them is a great delight. They are in there all chattering away at once, almost making the woods rock LOL!!...but snap one little twig, and you would never know a single one was there. Oh, I love them!

Carol C. said...

Yep, those squirrel are cute alright....but not when they are stripping the bark off of my river birch or knocking down my finch sock just for the fun of it. I took to throwing shoes at them but they paid no attention.
Anyway, the photos are great and the little critters are cute...I guess. ;-)