Photography and Thoughts by Ulanawa Foote

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

WINGS OF CHANGE

 
The owl is a magnificent bird and one I am very familiar with.
 
I know there are many teachings on the owl and many different people and cultures view them differently. A lot of people fear them and associate them with unpleasant things. I have NEVER feared an owl and I have NEVER associated them with unpleasant things. I was taught the owl is one of the sacred few who stayed awake for the creation of the world. For this reason, Creator gifted it with wisdom and a special ability to see into the night and see things hidden, and an acute hearing to hear things unheard. 
 
The owl is a sacred messenger. I have heard many teachings from other people of how the owl is associated with death and for that reason it is much feared. That is not my experience or the way I was taught. When the owl presents itself, it comes as a blessing and a sacred helper. It comes to take dead things away … not people per se, but the things in our lives that are dead or no longer needed that can cause us to become unbalanced if they are not removed. And many times things creep into our lives so gradually and set up camp that we do not recognize them for what they are and the negative effect they can have upon us … until the owl shows up.
 
The owl can peer into the night of our circumstances and see things for what they really are. The owl can look into the shadows of the heart and peer into the darkness to the depths of the soul and see what is there, and how it is effecting us now and how it will effect us later. On silent feathers it comes quickly, and quietly begins its work of cleansing and removal of the dead things within us and in our circumstances. That is what the owl does. It carries these things away so that we may restore our balance.
 
It is equipped with amazing hearing and is easily alerted to the silent agony of the heart, and it responds. I love the owl. I have great honor and respect for it and the sacred work it does. With owl, comes the removal of dead things and the promise of change.
 
My grandmother used to send owls to me. She somehow knew I needed them to follow me and watch over me. She would never interfere in my decisions or the things that happened in my life, but she always sent an owl to follow me by day and watch over me by night. And as a person who has lived through some horrific things that would have destroyed a lot of people who have experienced far less, I have remained for the most part, incredibly balanced. The Creator and my grandmother blessed me with the owl’s gifts, and even now, owl will show itself, when it is time to let go of something that will cause me harm and become terribly unbalanced in my spirit, mind, body and emotions.
 
But these are my personal experiences and beliefs about the owl. They are wonderful teachers as well. And each type of owl carries a unique medicine. Creator equipped them in a wonderful way. I have been taught that the reason the owl moves its head rather than its eyes to see, is to teach us to remain focused in the way we need to go so we are not distracted by things that do not concern us or that would lead us astray. 
 
Their vision is so powerful and acute that it is believed to have the power to see into the future. In this way, Creator often sends this winged messenger to us to help us on our life journey, to help us get to the places we are meant to go, so we can do the things that we are meant to do.
 
The owl comes to us on wings of change and if we receive its message willingly, it can lead us to a better place of balance, through the night, into a bright new day.
 














2 comments:

Carol C. said...

The owl is so wise looking. Beautifully done!

Jonathan Schechter said...

Great pictures too.! I have 'my' great horned owl that perches barely 200 feet from my window at night on an old poplar tree and watches over his meadow. He talks often during the night and then makes his silet flight back to the pines at dawn. I am sure Mr. Owl would like your words.