Photography and Thoughts by Ulanawa Foote

Sunday, August 21, 2011

PINKY

Long before I ever had any personal interaction with crows,
I loved them.
 
There was a movie I loved as a young child. It was about a crow named Pinky. Pinky was curious and a bit mischievous and got itself into some pink paint, hence the name Pinky. I loved that movie and I loved that bird. And who knew that this introduction to a loveable crow would serve me and prepare me for what would soon transpire. :)
 
My father had become ill and was hospitalized. From the hospital window by his bed, he watched a nest of crows. He noticed the mother was no longer returning. In his desire to see the crows survive, he had my uncle remove the nest and baby crows from the tree and bring them to our house.
 
Our neighbor offered to help us with the young crows. On the back of his garage he had built a large shelter for the birds, that kept them dry and safe from predators. Between our two families we began the schedule of trading off times to feed the little birds. I remember being taught how to feed them. I would put creamed corn on my fingers and gently stick them down the birds’ throats. I always looked forward to my turn to feed the baby crows.
 
It was a great bonding time, feeding the birds. They taught me so much. As they got a little bigger and stronger, I was able to handle them. That filled my heart with great delight. And with my daily interaction with these beautiful birds, I bonded especially close with one in particular, that I had so fondly named Pinky. :)
 
Pinky and I spent a lot of time together, it perched on my shoulder as I walked around. I talked to Pinky a lot. I shared my food with Pinky. I recalled the stories I was told on how crows could mimic human words, and because of that great care should always be given in their presence, as they were listeners and communicators who could fly off and reveal secrets. That never bothered me. I told Pinky everything. I took great comfort in knowing Pinky understood me.
 
The crows matured and were magnificent birds. But their size evoked fear from the neighbors. They did not like these birds hanging around so closely. We lived in a neighborhood where our houses were close together. They began throwing rocks at the birds, trying to scare them off.  Even as young as I was, and as much as it broke my heart, I knew it was best to begin discouraging my friends from hanging around, so they would not become hurt … or even worse, killed. It took awhile and painful effort, but there came a time when the crows no longer returned. My friend, Pinky, was gone forever. I cried a lot. I was happy Pinky and the others were out of harm’s way, but I missed them terribly. I had learned so much from them.
 
Pinky may have been gone from my life, but not from my heart. In my heart, my friend continued to live on. To this day, when I hear a crow calling, my heart smiles as it remembers. I delight in their candor, and the amazing intelligence of these birds. If you are ever accepted or rejected by a crow, rest assured it is personal. They identify faces. They see people as individuals, not merely just 2-leggeds. They watch and they know. They are known as the keeper of mysteries. I also know of the many stories where these birds are associated with unpleasant and negative things. I have spent considerable time with them, and have yet to see it. Rather, these birds have taught me how to laugh, though I was hurting. They taught me to pay close attention to things and to remember. They taught me the joy of playful curiosity. They taught my spirit to fly.  They gave me courage when I had none. They taught me the importance of using my voice in a powerful way to speak up for things that others may not quite understand. They have taught me the importance of wise council. They have taught me the secrets to survival. They have taught me well.
 
It was a great joy to spend some time with the crows yesterday. With nature and wildlife abounding all about me, I was teased for choosing to sit with the crows. And even then, I did not have my heart full, as I sat and remembered Pinky and the wonderful gifts these beautiful birds have given me.
 
Crows will always be special to me. Of all the encounters I have had with critters growing up (and that is a lengthy list), it is Pinky and the other crows, who have left the greatest impact on me. Their little bird tracks of wisdom are forever on my heart.  Pinky had powerful medicine, for a young girl who knew a lot of pain.
I will always love you, Pinky. ♥



























3 comments:

Jonathan Schechter said...

This is beautiful beyond description--and will bring both tears and smiles and hope (and drifting into their own pasts) to anyone who is human. Just pefect writing Ulanawa in every way. :+)

Ulanawa said...

Thank you. :) ... Enjoyed my time with the crows immensely, though any time I spend with them will never be long enough. Lot of time enjoying their presence and remembering. :)

Ulanawa said...

:) Thank you so much. Appreciate the warm replies to such a vulnerable look into my young life. Was a wonderful and unhurried time with the crows yesterday. I loved it. ♥