Photography and Thoughts by Ulanawa Foote

Friday, September 7, 2012

SOMETIMES BEAUTY HIDES

Sometimes beauty hides.
 
I am up before the sun most mornings, and enjoy sitting outside listening to the last of the  night songs and the early awakening of sweet morning sounds. I was sitting contemplating some recent  “ugliness” I had experienced when I  caught a glittering glimpse  of something hidden beneath a leaf. As the trees danced and sang their water songs (suggesting rain was soon to follow), I could see this particular leaf catching the moonlight and silently doing a dance of its own. 
 
I went to examine it more closely, and a small white moth was resting underneath the leaf, almost completely hidden from view. It’s beauty seemed to glow on the dark leaf in the moonlight. My heart leaped with joy at the discovery of this lovely moth.  In its quiet beauty and simplicity, it was absolutely stunning. As the trees had sung their water songs minutes before, I watched as the early morning mist gently kissed the moth, making it glisten all the more in the moonlight.
 
But no matter how hard I tried to photograph it, I could not. It was just too well hidden on a leaf against the house. I could not manage a picture of it without disturbing it. It had found a safe place to rest and I respected its space. So I went  inside, all the while thinking how some aspects of beauty, like this small moth, in its fragileness and delicateness,  may feel the need to hide to protect itself. And as I turned to close the door, still lost in contemplation, the moth was in complete view. The underside of the leaf was resting against the door window. So without disturbing the resting beauty, I managed to get a few pictures of it. And this encounter has touched me deep in my spirit and has me thinking about many things ...
For sometimes beauty does hide;
And one must view it from the inside in order to see it. 
 
****After Thoughts****
Just as I was about to close the door after taking pics of my hidden beauty through the beagle snot on the front door, I caught the glimpse of fluttering wings in the moonlight. I saw where it landed but could not see it. So I took some pics from where I saw it land and discovered another hidden beauty. :) ♥ ♥ ♥
 
This one blended in so nicely with the weathered wood on deck.
Was almost invisible without zoom on camera. :)
 
 


















1 comment:

Jonathan Schechter said...

Another favorite--just beautiful in every possible way.
Going to send it on on my "Twitter" feed.